I just finished the history of the Pledge of Allegiance. There were some interesting facts. Some I knew. Others were new (to me). I learned a few things.
Here’s what learned:
- the pledge was written by socialist
- it was written over a century after the Constitution was ratified, in 1892
- it was written as a marketing campaign
- part of a flag giveaway promotion to increase magazine sales for The Youth’s Companion
- it did not include any reference to God
- Under God was added in 1954 after an lobbying campaign by the Knights of Columbus